Search RHCG Website
Select your language

I'm worried about my child - in an Emergency

exp date isn't null, but text field is

Alert Bell

If your child is unwell and you're worried, it's always best to seek medical attention sooner, rather than later. Do not wait to see if their condition gets worse. If your child is sick or hurt, you need to know the right place to go.

For more information about the team and development & review processes behind our health advice click here.

In an Emergency

The phone number to call in an emergency is 999.

For serious injury or health concerns call 999 or go to Royal Hospital for Children (RHC) Paediatric Emergency Department.

Keep the Emergency Department for emergencies only. Other services are available.

If you are unsure which service would be right for your child then the phone number to call for advice is NHS 111. Dial 111 from a mobile or landline - all calls are free of charge and you can call at any time day or night.
Where is the Paediatric Emergency Department?
What to expect when you attend our Paediatric Emergency Department

As an Emergency Department, we see the most severely ill and injured children first in a process called 'triage'.  This means that children are not necessarily seen in order of arrival.

We try to see patients as quickly as possible, but the waiting time to see a doctor or specialist nurse practitioner is very dependent on the clinical activity of the department.  This can vary hugely depending on the volume of patients and the severity of the illness / injury of those who are accessing the department at any given time.

Children who are waiting are monitored by nursing staff. After the initial assessment and treatment, patients may be admitted to the hospital or discharged home

Where else can I get help?

Your own GP practice, or when they are closed Out of Hours services, may be able to help you. 

Not all injuries require the services of our Emergency Department. For minor injuries you may be seen more quickly if you attend a Minor Injuries Unit. Always call NHS 24 on 111 first to ensure you get the right care, right place, right time. See below for details of where to go, depending on the age of your child and where you live.

Your own GP practice:

If your child is unwell or has a non-urgent health concern, phone your local doctor (GP).  Most GP surgeries are open Monday-Friday 8am-6pm.

Out of Hours (OOH)

The 111 service provides urgent health advice out of hours, when your GP practice or dentist is closed.

It's sometimes referred to as 'unscheduled care services'. This means that the service is there for you, in the out of hours period when other sources of support such as your doctor or dentist are closed.

Minor injuries: Under 1 year olds

Go to the Royal Hospital for Children, Glasgow, Emergency Department


Minor injuries: 1 to 5-year-olds


Minor injury units (MIUs): 5 to 15-year-olds

  • If you live in Greater Glasgow area Go to your nearest Minor Injury Unit. These are at New Stobhill HospitalNew Victoria Hospital and the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital. These units open between 9.00am to 9.00pm every day of the year. For this age group you are likely to get the fastest expert treatment for these injuries here. You will not have to wait for people with serious injuries and conditions to be treated first.
  • If you live in the Clyde Area Go to the nearest Minor Injury Unit. Minor Injury Units are located within the Emergency Departments of Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley and Inverclyde Royal Hospital in Greenock (open 9.00 am to 9.00 pm every day of the year). There is also a dedicated Minor Injury Unit at the Vale of Leven Hospital (open 8.00 am – 9.00 pm every day of the year).
Editorial Information

Last reviewed: 11 December 2023

Next review: 31 March 2025

Reviewer Name(s): Dr Morag Wilson; Dr Geetika Kumar