Search RHCG Website
Select your language

Road traffic accident

exp date isn't null, but text field is

This page from the website has information on what to do if your child has been involved in an accident. 

Call 999 if your child:
  • stops breathing
  • is struggling for breath (for example, you may notice them breathing fast, panting, becoming very wheezy, or see the muscles just under their ribcage sucking in when they breathe in)
  • is unconscious or seems unaware of what's going on
  • has a cut that will not stop bleeding or is gaping open
  • will not wake up
  • has a fit for the first time, even if they seem to recover
Take your child to the Emergency Department if they:
  • have severe tummy (abdominal) pain
  • have a leg or arm injury and cannot use the limb

If you're worried about your child and are not sure if they need medical help, call 111.

If you're unsure whether you should move your child, make sure they're warm and call an ambulance.

Helping your child stay safe around roads
This poster from the Child Accident Prevention Trust contains simple advice to help children stay safe around roads, as pedestrians, cyclists, and car passengers. 


The Road Safety Scotland Learning Zone has lots of fun activities, teaching road safety from the early years to teenagers. 


Editorial Information

Last reviewed: 05 October 2021

Next review: 05 October 2024

Approved By: Dr Ciara Carrick