Search RHCG Website
Select your language

Injuries: Falls

exp date isn't null, but text field is

Young children sometimes have injuries and accidents. Most are minor, but it's a good idea to know what to do if the accident or injury is more serious.

Call 999 if your child:
  • stops breathing
  • is struggling for breath (for example, you may notice them breathing fast, panting, becoming very wheezy, or see the muscles just under their ribcage sucking in when they breathe in)
  • is unconscious or seems unaware of what's going on
  • has a cut that will not stop bleeding or is gaping open
  • will not wake up
  • has a fit for the first time, even if they seem to recover
Take your child to the Emergency Department if they:
  • have severe tummy (abdominal) pain
  • have a leg or arm injury and cannot use the limb

If you're worried about your child and are not sure if they need medical help, call 111.

If you're unsure whether you should move your child, make sure they're warm and call 999.


Advice taken from:

Where should I get help?
If your child does not have a life or limb threatening injury, consider calling NHS 24 on 111.

You may be allocated a virtual appointment on the same day with a doctor or nurse practitioner at our Flow Navigation Hub. This may avoid the need to travel to hospital.

If after talking to you and your child, they feel you do need to be seen at an Emergency Department or Minor Injury Unit they will direct you to your nearest one.

The Child Accident Prevention Trust website has good advice on preventing falls, and risks to look out for including:

  • Windows and balconies
  • Crawling babies/toddlers and what to do about stairs
  • Highchair safety
  • Bikes
  • Trampoline safety 
Editorial Information

Last reviewed: 04 October 2021

Next review: 04 October 2024

Approved By: Ciara Carrick